Boxing Development Centre
Do you enjoy boxing for fun or do you have aspirations of going far in the sport, maybe even going professional? Whatever your level, there’s a place for you at our highly-respected Boxing Academy.
East Durham College runs the longest-established College Boxing Academy in the region. So come and join the best, and experience this fantastic package of training and benefits:
- Eight hours coaching per week with our highly qualified coaching team, including ABA national team coach Dave Binns.
- Compete in regional, national and international competitions.
- Train in our very own boxing gym. The gym has two boxing rings, one Olympic-sized (21ft) and one professional (17ft), x10 punch bags and a range of other specialist boxing equipment and safety gear to help hone your skills and fitness.
- Also use our other fantastic sports facilities, which rival many a professional sports club. These include a double-sized sports hall (with a seating capacity of 500), a fully-equipped state-of-the-art gym with fixed and free weights and a range of cardiovascular, strength and conditioning training kit, modern and secure changing facilities and even an in-house physiotherapy clinic. Click here for more details on the Sports Centre and Impact Health & Fitness gym.
- Study 14 hours per week learning about every aspect of sport, including physiology, fitness training, fitness testing, psychology, nutrition, performance analysis and more. Meanwhile, you’ll also be taking one of our three Level 3 Sport course options (Sports Science, Development Coaching & Fitness or Performance & Excellence). These two-year courses are equivalent to three A Levels and are a proven route into university.
- Take part in 36 hours of real work experience during the year, with opportunities to coach children, take part in sports development, work in a gym and many other choices.
- Have the opportunity to complete Maths and English to GCSE or Level 2 Functional Skills (if you don’t already have them).
- Use the state-of-the-art gym during training, in lessons or in your own time for FREE. Normal membership costs £450 a year. The gym is open seven days a week.
- If you pick up any niggles or injuries during training or matches, our full time professional physiotherapist is on hand, completely FREE to get you back in the ring as soon as possible.
- You’ll also get FREE travel to and from the College with our free bus services with Arriva. Please click here for details on the free bus service.
For more details please call the sports team on 0191 518 5565.
And why not join us on Facebook, www.facebook.com/TeamEastDurham
See what Ofsted have to say (Ofsted Inspection Report, March 2014)
“Teachers demonstrate good subject knowledge and expertise, delivered with great enthusiasm to motivate and engage students.”
“Support for students is good. They value particularly the individual tutorials, and the availability and approachability of teachers outside lessons, via text, email or the VLE for help and advice to support their good progress.”
“Accommodation and resources are excellent, including outstanding sports facilities used effectively to develop students’ practical skills and support progress.”
“Students value the enrichment programme in sport highly. They benefit from the good opportunities to progress, achieve and succeed in chosen sports academies or elite athlete scholarships with structured training programmes, fixtures in the British Colleges league and selection to represent college and regional teams.”
See what some of our former students have to say:
Jake Slater studied Sport and Exercise Science at the College before moving on to Northumbria University to study a dual degree of Psychology and Sport.
“East Durham College really helped me to reach my full potential. The fantastic lecturers and top quality coaches helped guide me to five national titles and into the Senior England Team. It was two of the best years of my life and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to take their sports to the next level.” Jake Slater.
Jonson McClumpha was a student in 2010-11 and then became a professional boxer in 2012. He has since had eight fights and remains undefeated. Jonson’s most recent win was when he gained a Northern Area Title at middleweight, in front of a home crowd at the Stadium of Light.
“Being part of the boxing academy at EDC has had a massive effect on my boxing career. Without it I wouldn’t have won numerous national titles and international medals, before moving on to my professional career supported by the same coach - David Binns.” Jonson McClumpha.
“I really enjoyed my time at the College. I studied on a L3 Sport course before completing the Foundation Degree in Sport and during that time I also attended the Boxing Academy. I did this because it was great fun and the coach, Dave Binns, was excellent. I never wanted to take up boxing as a sport, but it was a brilliant way to stay fit. I’m now back at the College doing my PGCE work placement to become a lecturer. Who knows, I might be a staff member at EDC in the not too distant future!” Charlotte Winnard.
The East Durham Boxing Gymnasium was officially opened in 2009 by local hero Tony Jeffries, heavyweight bronze medallist at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games and former student of East Durham College.
Current professional boxers training with David Binns at our boxing gym include: Glen Foot, BetFair Prizefighter Welterweight winner. Middleweight Jonson McClumpha, who recently won the International Masters Title at The Summer Rumble held at the Sunderland Stadium of Light in July 2014.