East Durham College operates across three sites - the Peterlee Campus (Willerby Grove), the Houghall Campus (Durham) and The Technical Academy (Peterlee)
Peterlee Campus Facilities include:
- 220 seat producing and receiving theatre
- Television filming studio
- Industry-standard Pro Tools HD recording studio
- Radio station
- Two Mac editing suites
- TV gallery
- Art studio
- Large fully-equipped construction skills workshops
- Science labs
- State-of-the-art teaching and learning areas
- Commercial training bistro-style restaurant, Scene1
- Two industry-standard commercial training kitchens
- EDC Travel Agent (in association with Hays Travel)
- Well-equipped learning resources centre and IT suites
- Dedicated higher education area in conjunction with the University of Sunderland
- Industry-standard commercial hair salon
- Industry-standard commercial beauty salon
- Positive Steps Childcare Nursery
- Spacious canteen and social spaces
- All weather flood-lit 3G pitch
- 500 seat sports arena/sports hall
- Cardiovascular and weights gym
- Specialist boxing gym
- Dance studio
- Full and five-a-side football pitches
Houghall Campus Facilities:
Our Houghall Campus, in Durham, has recently undergone an exciting £12.75 million redevelopment which was up and running for the new academic year (2016/17). The development project was made possible following the college receiving £10m capital investment funding from The North East Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) which it secured from the Government’s Local Growth Fund
As well as an extensive and challenging refurbishment of the main entrance front building, which was built in 1937/8, the completion of the project saw a number of stunning new facilities open September 2016; including a brand-new small animal care centre, agricultural centre, equine centre, brand new science labs and IT suites, and new enhanced access and parking facilities.
The purpose-built Small Animal Care Centre houses a range of small mammals, birds, reptiles and aquatics - as well as a new commercial dog grooming salon and 22-bay dog kennel unit, complete with dog agility and dog walking areas.
The stunning new Houghall Equine Centre boasts a 28-stable block accommodation, training workshops, tack room, automatic horse-walker and an international-standard 40m x 40m indoor arena to complement an existing 60m x 40m all-weather menage, cross-country trail, schooling field and 20-acre paddock.
The new Agricultural Centre includes a pig unit and cattle unit with forage store to supplement the existing sheep unit down at the farm site.
Each new and refurbished building also boasts additional classroom/workshop space, staff and student changing facilities and welfare support areas.
- Stunning 476-acre estate with working farm
- New purpose-built small animal care centre is home to a snake house, lizard house, tortoise house, aquatics, small mammals and an aviary.
- New commercial dog grooming studio
- New 22-bay dog kennel unit
- New dog agility and walking area
- New specialist veterinary nursing training facilities
- New agricultural centre with pig unit and cattle unit with forage store, plus an existing sheep unit
- Stunning new equine centre with 28 stables, training workshops, tack room, an international-standard 40m x 40m indoor arena and a 60m x 40m all-weather menage
- Brand new science labs
- Commercial Garden Centre
- Horticulture lab
- Horticulture & arboriculture workshops
- Horticultural glasshouses and potting shed
- Specialist arboretum & pinetum
- Floristry studios
- Well-equipped learning resources centre
- IT suites
- Social & informal break-out learning space
- Football pitches
- Multi-gym room
Houghall Campus - Facilities Video
The Sports Centre & Impact Health & Fitness Gym
The Sports Centre and Impact Health & Fitness are open to the public to hire the facilities or join the state-of-the-art fitness gym. The gym is free to all current East Durham College students.
Positive Steps Day Nursery
Many students have young children, a fact that often makes attendance at college difficult. To make things easier the College has a fantastic on site nursery at the Peterlee Campus.
Learning Resources Centre
East Durham College has a Learning Resources Centre (LRC) at each main campus offering an extensive range of study materials and study space for students.
Hair & Beauty Salon
Kick back, relax and feel pampered with East Durham College's dedicated health and beauty salon, offering a range of treatments for great prices.
Come and experience tomorrow’s catering talent today in Scene1, the College’s restaurant, located in the Peterlee Campus. Dinner for two or catering for parties of up to forty people, we will aim to meet your every need.
The Lubetkin Theatre
East Durham College operates the only dedicated theatre in the East Durham area and is a facility which is open to both students and the general public for a wide range of events and performances.
EDC Travel Agents
East Durham College has its very own travel agency, EDC Travel.
Higher Education - The Gateway
The Gateway – An exclusive area at the Peterlee Campus for all our higher education students.
Meetings, Conference & Events Facilities
East Durham College is an ideal venue to hire for a wide range of meetings, events and functions.
The Houghall Plant Centre, Durham
Open to the public, the plant centre at our Houghall Campus in Durham sells a wide selection of plants - as well as offering top gardening advice - and also has a lovely coffee shop serving a range of delicious hot and cold snacks and drinks.
Equine Centre & Livery Services
East Durham College's Houghall Campus, in Durham, boasts one of the finest equine centres in the North East.
East Durham College Peterlee Campus Facilities
Find out more about the amazing facilities available in East Durham College's Peterlee campus.
East Durham College Houghall (Durham) Campus Facilities
Specialising in land-based studies, Houghall, situated just outside Durham City, is the perfect place to study everything from small animal care to horticulture.
The Houghall Arboretum & Pinetum
The Arboretum at the Houghall Campus, on the outskirts of Durham City, houses a superb collection of shrubs and trees from around the world.