The Houghall Campus
Our Houghall Campus, in Durham, is a leading provider of land-based training and education in the North and has recently undergone an exciting £12.75 million redevelopment.
Check out the redevelopment in this stunning video
As well as an extensive and challenging refurbishment of the main entrance front building, which was built in 1937/8, the completion of the project saw a number of stunning new facilities open September 2016; including a brand-new small animal care centre, agricultural centre, equine centre, brand new science labs and IT suites, and new enhanced access and parking facilities.
The development project was made possible following the college receiving £10m capital investment funding from The North East Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) which it secured from the Government’s Local Growth Fund.
The purpose-built Small Animal Care Centre houses a range of small mammals, birds, reptiles and aquatics - as well as a new commercial dog grooming salon and 22-bay dog kennel unit, complete with dog agility and dog walking areas.
The stunning new Houghall Equine Centre boasts a 28-stable block accommodation, training workshops, tack room, automatic horse-walker and an international-standard 40m x 40m indoor arena to complement an existing 60m x 40m all-weather menage, cross-country trail, schooling field and 20-acre paddock.
The new Agricultural Centre includes a pig unit and cattle unit with forage store to supplement the existing sheep unit down at the farm site.
Each new and refurbished building also boasts additional classroom/workshop space, staff and student changing facilities and welfare support areas.
Land Based Courses
Courses are available in agriculture, animal care, arboriculture & forestry, countryside management, dog grooming, equine studies, floristry, horticulture & gardening and veterinary nursing.
Check out the Houghall courses section of the website for details.
- Stunning 476-acre estate with working farm
- New purpose-built small animal care centre is home to a snake house, lizard house, tortoise house, aquatics, small mammals and an aviary.
- New commercial dog grooming studio
- New 22-bay dog kennel unit
- New dog agility and walking area
- New specialist veterinary nursing training facilities
- New agricultural centre with pig unit and cattle unit with forage store, plus an existing sheep unit
- Stunning new equine centre with 28 stables, training workshops, tack room, an international-standard 40m x 40m indoor arena and a 60m x 40m all-weather menage
- Brand new science labs
- Commercial Garden Centre
- Horticulture lab
- Horticulture & arboriculture workshops
- Horticultural glasshouses and potting shed
- Specialist arboretum & pinetum
- Floristry studios
- Well-equipped learning resources centre
- IT suites
- Social & informal break-out learning space
National Land Based College
East Durham College is a member of the National Land Based College, a UK-wide virtual college championing skills development and providing a digital hub for land based careers, education and training. We encourage students to visit the NLBC website and register with them to receive ongoing skills support throughout your career. https://nlbc.uk