CYQ Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing
A career in Personal Training or employment in the Fitness/Leisure industry.
This qualification is aimed at the learner who wants to pursue a career in the health and fitness industry as a fitness instructor in the context of gym-based exercise. The course is structured to include approximately 90 hours of contact time. However, you will be required to use your own time effectively to ensure you are ready for assessment.
No official entry requirements. However, a sound knowledge of anatomy & physiology, as well as experience in a gym environment are essential.
The course is very practical in nature with learners showing competence in the lifting of weights and carrying out aerobic type exercises. However, learners will also cover:
Anatomy and physiology including:
• The heart and circulatory system
• The respiratory system
• Structure and function of the skeleton
• Musculoskeletal system
• Postural and core stability
• The nervous and energy systems and their relation to exercise
• How to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments, including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults
• How to programme safe and effective exercise for a range of clients, the health benefits of physical activity and the importance of healthy eating
• How to communicate with clients effectively, and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
• The skills and knowledge required to plan and prepare a gym-based exercise programme with apparently healthy adults - both individuals and groups. This may include young people in the 14-16 age range, provided they are part of a larger adult group. Client groups also covered are older adults, ante and postnatal clients and disabled clients provided the relevant contraindications and key safety guidelines are observed.
Two units will be externally assessed using multiple choice theory papers or assessment. Two units will be internally assessed using workbooks. A planning unit will be internally assessed. Practical examination to include ongoing and final assessment.
15 weeks, 6 hours per week during the evening
More important information about this course:
If you have been a UK resident for the past 3 years and are under the age of 19 on the 31st August, you will not usually need to pay any course fees.
If you are in receipt of Job Seekers Allowance or Employment Support Allowance in the Work Related Activity Group or other work related benefit and you are undertaking this qualification to find work, your fees may be paid by the Government.
If you do need to pay fees they are:
Flexible payment options are available, please speak to Student Services.
*We make every effort to publish correct fees, however all fees are subject to change. Fees are correct as at the current time (27 Feb 2018 21:10) and are subject to change up to the date of enrolment. Fees quoted are payable annually
We regularly work with QDP, the UK’s largest independent provider of questionnaire based feedback services to the education sector, so that any results can be benchmarked against other colleges and the voices of over 600,000 learners QDP gathers feedback from over the course of an academic year.
Our feedback scores consistently place us in the top quartile of colleges in the country, indicating that we not only meet but often exceed student expectations. Some results from the 2015/2016 on programme and exit surveys and the 2016/17 induction survey can be seen below.
98% stated it was easy to apply for the course
96% said the teaching on my course is good
99% felt that their teacher knows their subject well
97% told us they felt safe at college
98% said expected standards of behaviour were made clear
95% told us they felt they had developed the skills they needed to get a job/take their next step
95% agreed the teachers consistently challenge them to do their best
97% said teacher feedback told them what was going well and where to improve
The following information comes from Career Explorer, an online tool designed to help you research your education and career options. Here you will find information on jobs right here in the region, including links to actual job vacancies, potential earnings and our courses that can help you achieve an outstanding future. Click here to explore Career Explorer further..
To apply online for this course, please click on the 'Apply for this course' button below.
Alternatively, if you need assistance with your application or you would like to apply over the phone or using a paper-based application form, please call Student Services on 0191 518 8222.
If you're not quite ready to apply for this course and would like some more information or to speak to a member of staff then send us an enquiry.Enquire about this course