Specialist help and support is available to assist learners access the broad curriculum on offer.
Our Specialism's include autistic spectrum conditions, behaviour and emotional support, moderate learning difficulties. All learners are assessed prior to enrolment as to the type and level of support they require to access their course or study programme.
A range of specialist communicators are available, e.g. signers, interpreters. College has a portable induction loop system.
There are accessible changing and toilet facilities on all sites.
Learning support and support workers are employed to assist students to access their course.
College has an Inclusive Learning Manager and a Learning Support Manager who work across the College and Curriculum in conjunction with teaching and vocational staff to ensure all learners have access to support as needed.
The following list gives more examples of the range of support offered:
- Support for Learning with our ALS service, click here for more details on our Additional Learning Support
- Curriculum work inside or outside the classroom, e.g. numeracy/reading and writing
- Mobility and personal care
- Specialist equipment
- Adapted or modified learning materials
- Dyslexia support
- Examination concessions such as extra time, reader, scribes or special facilities
- Communicators for hearing impaired learners
- Counselling and support
You can contact the support team on:
Tel: 0191 518 8222 (Peterlee)
Tel: 0191 375 4700 (Houghall)