16-19 Tuition Fund Statement
The 16-19 Tuition Fund is ringfenced funding for school and colleges and all other 16-19 institutions who receive annual funding allocations from ESFA for the provision of 16-19 education to mitigate the disruption of learning arising from coronavirus (covid-19).
East Durham College will use this funding in the 2021/22 academic year to support small group tuition for students aged 16-19 in English, maths and other subjects that have been disrupted, including vocational and/or academic learning. Students aged 19-24 who have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan are also eligible for support.
- Students who have not achieved a grade 4 or 5 in English and/or maths.
- Students who have a grade 4 or above in English and / or maths and are from an economically disadvantaged background and would need or benefit from catch up support.
The college will have regard to students with special education needs and disabilities (SEND) particularly where students have experience additional disruption to learning because of their specific needs and disabilities. The college will prioritise tuition for students who have not achieved a grade 4 in maths and/or English in the first instance.
East Durham College has committed to using the tuition funding to provide tailored support to individuals, or in groups of no more than 5, to:
- Focus on developing maths and English skills in students in order to support progression.
- Consolidate and develop practical skills which may have been impacted by interrupted learning.
- Develop study skills such as time management, planning and completing assignments and exam preparation.
- Work with students with SEND to address behaviours and anxieties exacerbated by interrupted learning to assist with transition.
Support will be allocated following a process of initial assessment to identify significant gaps in learning and will differ across students and qualifications. Resourcing will involve paying for more hours from existing staff and hiring new staff such as Intervention Coach, Academic Tutor, SEND Progression Coach and subject specialists where available.