Dance Development Centre
The Dance Development Centre is open to all students who are studying on any of our full time courses. As a member of the dance centre you will receive at least eight hours per week dance training on top of your normal academic lessons.
Do you enjoy dancing for fun or do you have aspirations of a career in dance? Whatever your level, there’s a place for you at our highly respected Dance Academy where you can experience this fantastic package of training and benefits.
- Take part in a minimum of eight hours dance and performance training with our Council for Dance Education and Training registered instructor, Kayleigh Gage, who has worked professional as a performer and choreographer for many years.
- Use the College’s professional-standard rehearsal rooms such as our dance studio, drama studio, gym and of course our very own 220 seat theatre. The theatre is a fully operational and working theatre which houses state-of-the-art equipment and lighting to provide a facility designed to nurture and inspire creativity in a range of arts-related disciplines. Click here for more details on the Sports Centre and Impact Health & Fitness gym or The Lubetkin Theatre.
- Learn about every aspect of dance performance such as dance technique, rehearsal technique, audition technique, professional conduct, conditioning and fitness training, fitness testing, flexibility and stamina training, nutrition, performance analysis, etc. whilst studying on any of our full time courses at East Durham College.
- Take part in 36 hours of real work experience during the year, with opportunities to coach children, take part in professional, competitive, charitable and fundraising performances and events all over the country.
- Have the opportunity to complete Maths and English to GCSE or Level 2 Functional Skills (if you don’t already have them).
- Use the state-of-the-art gym during training, in lessons or in your own time for FREE. Normal membership costs £450 a year. The gym is open seven days a week.
- If you pick up any niggles or injuries during training or performances, our full time professional physiotherapist is on hand, completely FREE to get you back on the stage as soon as possible.
- You’ll also get FREE travel to and from the College with our free bus services with Arriva. Please click here for details on the free bus service.
Training is personalised to suit your individual needs, if you’ve never danced before you’ll be able to get to grips with the basics, however if you’ve studied dance before we have focused technique classes to develop ballet, jazz and contemporary skills. Everyone participates in fitness training to improve strength, flexibility and stamina including regular Aerobics, Pilates and Yoga sessions.
If you are interested in a career teaching dance, we can give you the opportunity to work within a local dance school gaining the necessary experience needed to progress onto a teaching qualifications.
You do NOT need to be studying performing arts to be part of the Dance Development Centre but you do need to enrol on to a full time academic course.
For further information please email: email@example.com or call 0191 518 8222 or 0191 518 5565. And why not join us on Facebook, www.facebook.com/TeamEastDurham
See what Ofsted have to say (Ofsted Inspection Report, March 2014)
“Teachers demonstrate good subject knowledge and expertise, delivered with great enthusiasm to motivate and engage students.”
“Support for students is good. They value particularly the individual tutorials, and the availability and approachability of teachers outside lessons, via text, email or the VLE for help and advice to support their good progress.”
“Accommodation and resources are excellent, including outstanding sports facilities used effectively to develop students’ practical skills and support progress.”
“Students value the enrichment programme in sport highly. They benefit from the good opportunities to progress, achieve and succeed in chosen sports academies or elite athlete scholarships with structured training programmes, fixtures in the British Colleges league and selection to represent college and regional teams.”