Whether you're looking to give your career a spark and become an apprentice, or are an employer looking to take on a talented young apprentice, East Durham College's Apprenticeship team are here to help!
Are You a Potential Apprentice, or an Employer?
East Durham College offers a comprehensive apprenticeship service. Not only do we work with those looking for apprenticeships, we also work with employers from across the North East to help them by providing talented apprentices.
We have useful information for both potential apprentices and employers on our website - finding the right info is as simple as clicking the right image below!
More About Apprenticeships
There has never been a better time to consider an Apprenticeship. Young people can ‘get in and go far’ with an Apprenticeship at some of Britain’s biggest and brightest companies where they can gain skills and qualifications, some of which can go up to degree level, while working and earning.
The world is changing fast and to get ahead these days you need to have some great skills. But you don’t need to sit in a classroom all day to get them.
An Apprenticeship is a real job with training so you can earn while you learn and pick up some recognised qualifications as you go. Result!
If you‘re over 16 and not in full time education then you can apply.
Apprenticeships take between one and five years to complete and cover 1500 job roles in a wide range of industries, from engineering to accountancy, public relations to veterinary nursing.
- Progress your career: Employers recognise and value Apprenticeships so you’ll fly through the ranks.
- Learn job specific skills: Learn from the masters and work alongside experienced staff to gain top notch skills.
- Achieve sought after qualifications: Apprenticeships are the gold standard for work-based learning.
Earn While You Learn
One of the main benefits of being an apprentice is you actually earn money while growing your skills and abilities in a real working environment.
You'll be just like a normal employee, except you'll receive mentoring from other members of staff and expand your own confidence by learning from experienced people.
Here's some important information about apprenticeship wages:
- You are entitled to the National Minimum Wage. Click here for the latest details on the current minimum wage rate for an apprentice.
- This rate applies to apprentices under the age of 19, or apprentices over the age of 19 in the first year of their apprenticeship
- You must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for your age if you're an apprentice aged 19 or over and have completed your first year
Employers really value Apprenticeships. They know if you have one that you’ve got the skills so you’ll shoot through the ranks and your career will progress rapidly. You’ll feel the rewards in your pockets too. People with an Advanced Level Apprenticeship earn around £117,000* more than those without, over the course of their career.
From then on, the world is your oyster. You can collect UCAS points, study for Technical Certificates, go on to higher education at college or uni or carry on working, get promoted and take on the world!
There are three types of Apprenticeship you can apply for depending on your current skills and qualifications:
- Intermediate Level Apprenticeship (Level 2)
- Advanced Level Apprenticeship (Level 3)
- Higher Apprenticeship (Level 4 or above)
There’s never been a better time to become an apprentice and East Durham College are here to help you turn your career dreams into a reality.
We have a dedicated team of specialists who work closely with you. They will guide and support you throughout the whole experience and will be there for you every step of the way.
To find out more information or to apply for an Apprenticeship, please call the Apprenticeship Team on 0191 518 5508 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Employers should contact our Employer Engagement team on 0191 518 5508 or email email@example.com
Register Your Interest in an Apprenticeship
Are you interesting in learning more about apprenticeships, or getting in touch with the team to find the latest apprenticeship vacancies?
Click the link below to be taken to our web form where you can fill in all of your details, and our apprenticeship team will get in touch with you!
National Apprenticeship Service
Or have a look at the National Apprenticeship Service brochure in the PDF below.
* Returns to Intermediate and Low Level Qualifications (September 2011).