Boro Hit For Nine By EDC Seconds

Sun, 2002-01-20 00:00

EDC's Nathan O'Connor slots in his second goal of the afternoon

A hat-trick performance from Nathan O’Connor was one of the highlights as East Durham College’s second team eased to a 9-2 victory over Middlesbrough College.

Goals from Charlie Rabie, Peter Johnson, Dale Stokoe and Mark Miller all added to O’Connor’s giving Michael Proctor’s side a great start to 2013.

The game started off tight with both midfields looking to apply some pressure and get an early breakthrough.

EDC finally got the better of their counterparts and broke through on goal only to see striker Charlie Rabie blaze the ball over the bar.

The Peterlee side continued to apply pressure, picking up a free kick on the left hand side of the box which was neatly curled in meeting the head of Hayden MacLeod who could then only watch as his effort sailed high over the bar.

But it was from a Middlesbrough attack that saw EDC take the lead. As Boro pushed forward EDC battled to win the ball back before pumping it forward over the defence to get themselves in a 3 on 1 situation with the keeper.

With two teammates to his left Charlie Rabie carried the ball forward before deciding to go it alone, only to see his first shot brilliantly saved by the keeper. But the ball landed kindly back at Rabie’s feet who then struck it again hitting the keeper, but this time his effort ricocheted off the keeper into the net.

Middlesbrough had a chance to immediately hit back from the kick-off. Boro played the ball up to the EDC box and as the College battled to get it off the Boro striker he went down under a challenge from captain Hayden MacLeod and the referee immediately pointed to the spot.

But luckily for EDC it was a weakly hit penalty and keeper Liam Kennedy easily stopping it, gathering up the ball.

Middlesbrough continued to press and saw a well hit effort come off the post before finally levelling the match with Anthony Barnes powering through the midfield and hitting a fantastic strike from just outside the box which flew past Kennedy.

East Durham College then came back into it, looking to reinstate their lead before half time.

And in the 34th minute striker Peter Johnson made it happen. Johnson collected the ball in midfield and carried it forward holding off two defenders in the process. He then managed to find just enough room on the edge of the box to get his shot away which nestled in the bottom corner to put EDC back in front.

And from this point the College seemed to take complete control of the game.

They added two further goals before half time with a fantastic passing performance from the EDC midfield founding Rabie who smashed home his second of the game before midfielder Dale Stokoe got in on the action driving a shot from 25 yards out into the bottom corner to give the hosts a 4-1 half time lead.

And East Durham College continued their dominance into the second half. They pushed forward from the restart looking for a fifth and that quickly came from the boot of Johnson who’s long range shot was fumbled by the Boro keeper into his own net.

The afternoon continued to get worse for the visitors. Nathan O’Connor battled well against the defence to get himself through one on one with the Middlesbrough keeper, calmly slotting home his first of the match.

And just five minutes later there was a déjà vu moment as O’Connor once again fought his way through the defence to stroke the goal past the helpless Middlesbrough keeper for East Durham’s seventh.

On the 68th minute EDC got their own turn from the penalty spot after Charlie Rabie was caught by a clumsy tackle in the box. Winger Mark Miller stepped up to drive home the penalty to extend the home sides lead.

But Middlesbrough kept fighting on despite the score line, looking for a consolation goal. They won back the ball in midfield and drove down the left hand side. Barnes picked up the ball and drove into the box hitting a powerful strike at goal which flew past the keeper to get Boro a second.

But EDC weren’t to be outdone and wanted the last say in the match. Straight from the restart the ball was knocked back and then thumped long towards the left hand touchline where Nathan O’Connor picked it up and powered through the Boro defence and into the box before rifling home his third and the College’s ninth to finish off the game.

And second team coach, ex-Sunderland striker Michael Proctor, hailed his side’s fantastic performance as the perfect start to the New Year.

Michael said: “It was a terrific performance. At first it looked as if it was going to be a tough game played in the middle of the park but once we pulled back in front to 2-1 we seemed to take complete control of the game.

“The team were really solid going forward and everyone did really well to get back and defend anything that Middlesbrough threw at them.

“It was the perfect performance to start off the New Year and hopefully we can keep up this fantastic level of performance until the end of the season.”

And after that fantastic victory the second team will be straight back into training with a tough task up ahead next week as they travel to top of the league Gateshead College.