Cricket Development Centre
Passionate about cricket, and want the best quality coaching and facilities available? Welcome to the East Durham College Cricket Academy!
So, interested in cricket and fancy training in the sport you love throughout the college year?
Would you be interested in being coached by former Durham, Warwickshire and Middlesex county cricketer Mel Betts?
How about studying on a fantastic sport or sports science course that gives you great employment opportunities, or the ability to go on to university?
Any of that sound good? If it does, you're in the right place with East Durham College's Cricket Academy!
State-Of-The-Art Cricket Training Facilities
East Durham College's Cricket Academy is ran at our Houghall campus, on the outskirts of Durham city centre.
As part of our Cricket Academy, you'll regularly have training sessions at Durham Uni's brand new cricket centre at Maiden Castle. Handily, it's directly opposite our Houghall campus!
At the college, we're proud to work in partnership with the exceptional team at Durham University to give our students access to the very best facilities.
You can expect all of the following:
- State-Of-The-Art Cricket Training Facility - purpose built for cricket tuition with net facilities to improve your batting and bowling techniques
- Access to Maiden Castle's Gym Facilities - build your strength and conditioning during your course with sessions delivered by personal trainers
- Test Your Skills Against Bowling Machines - including a Merlin training machine which replicates spin
- Training from Former Durham Cricket Mel Betts - Mel and his team are on-hand to sharpen your skills and technique, improving your all-round game
- Professional Physiotherapy Services - ease those injuries or general aches and pains, getting you back in the game as quickly as possible
- Play in Inter-College Competitions - play against other students from other colleges in both indoor and outdoor conditions
Studying at East Durham College
As part of your time at the Cricket Academy at EDC you'll also be studying at the college as well. There are many course options available to those interested in joining the Cricket Academy, including:
- BTEC Level 3 Sport
- BTEC Level 3 Sport Science
- OCR Level 2 Sport
- BTEC Level 3 Public Services
Due to this combination of study and training, you'll learn a wide range of practical skills and also grow your knowledge. This helps you to progress as a person and opens up a wider variety of opportunities for you to seriously consider making a career in sport after college, or to go on to higher education to study many different degrees.
There's countless opportunities for a career you could consider after your time with East Durham College. Some examples include a sports coach, sports development officer, fitness instructor, personal trainer, leisure manager, professional sportsperson, PE teacher, sports lecturer, nursing, retail, physiotherapist, teaching assistant, disability coach/worker, aerobics instructor, care worker, sports reporter, sports performance coach, sports journalist and you could work in many different industries including the Army, Navy, Police, Marines, Fire Service, Royal Air Force and the Media Industry.
Alternatively you could look into completing a selection of A-Levels at East Durham College's sixth form, ED6, or complete a more work-based course at our Technical Academy such as welding, motor vehicle repair, plumbing and many others.