East Durham College Hat Trick Hero Jamie Keen

Debut Hat-Trick For Keen

Mon, 08/10/2001 - 01:00

New East Durham College 1st striker Jamie Keen picked up the match ball on his debut for the side as they ran out 9-1 winners against Bishop Auckland College.

It was a scrappy first 20 minutes for the College with both teams battling for the ball in midfield, but it was EDC who made the breakthrough.

In the 25th minute East Durham won a corner which ended in a goalmouth scramble before the ball landed with midfielder Danny Naylor who curled it into the bottom corner.

The College then doubled their lead when striker Callum Monroe carried the ball into the box before slotting it past the keeper from a tight angle.

EDC kept applying the pressure on Bishop and in the 35th minute Jamie keen picked up on a defensive error and neatly placed the ball past the keeper to get his first of the afternoon.

Keen then rounded off his hat-trick before halftime with two identical goals. Two long balls from the EDC defence were picked up by Keen who then calmly placed the ball past the Bishop keeper giving the college a 5-0 half time lead.

A handful of half time substitutes for East Durham College lead to a shaky start to the second half for Brian Honour’s side, as they couldn’t seem to find their feet which lead to Bishop Auckland pulling one back with a tremendous volley from just outside the box by midfielder David Whitehead.

Bishop’s thoughts of a comeback were short lived as the College extended their lead when midfielder Darren Humphries picked up a rebounded shot and placed his shot into the bottom corner.

Unfortunately there was a disappointing moment for the College in the second half when midfielder Kyle Scott was sent off for dissent after an argument with the referee.

But despite losing a man EDC continued to dominate the match. Callum Monroe (pictured left) got his second of the game in the 75th minute. The striker clashed into the Bishop keeper when through one on one then falling over, but Monroe beat the keeper back up to the ball to smash it into an open goal.

And then three minutes later Monroe got EDC’s second hat-trick of the game. Once again the striker got himself through one on one but this time he calmly took it round the keeper before walking the ball into an empty net.

It was then midfielder Matty Billiard (pictured right) who finished off the College’s impressive display smashing in a volley from the edge of the area to leave the side 9-1 winners in the team’s last friendly before the new season gets underway.

The football season gets underway next week with three of the four College men’s team’s in action. The Men’s 1st start their season away at Hartlepool FE in the BCS 1 whilst the men’s 3rd play Hartlepool FE 2 away and the College’s under 18 side host Bishop Auckland at the Peterlee Campus.