EDC Taste Defeat Despite Dominating

Fri, 2001-12-07 00:00

East Durham College travelled back to Peterlee without any points as Darlington QE Sixth Form come from behind to get a 2-1 win at the Abbey Road Sports Field.

EDC took control of the game straight from the word go, but they just couldn’t fashion a clear shot at the QE goal.

It wasn’t until the half hour mark when the QE keeper had a big save to make. A long throw-in from EDC met the head of skipper Matty Billiard who looped the ball towards goal but it was met by a fantastic save from the keeper.

But five minutes later the College finally got their break through. Billiard received the ball on the edge of the box and his shot made its way through a crowd of QE defenders but his effort was parried away by the keeper, only to land at the feet of striker Callum Monroe who blasted a shot back towards goal, and despite the keeper getting a hand to the shot it was too strong, and found the back of the net.

Despite hardly entering the East Durham half for 40 minutes the EDC goal spurred QE on, who then started to push up field. And before half time they were level.

An attack broke the EDC backline and despite claims of offside by the College, QE striker Ryan Todd calmly slotted the ball home.

And straight from the kick-off QE won the ball, and had one last quick push before half time. The attack saw the EDC keeper rushing off his line but a wayward touch to beat the keeper sent their attack off course and the East Durham defence recovered to get back and clear the danger.

Half time words of encouragement from EDC team manager Brian Honour seemed to give East Durham the push they needed to get on the attack and take back control of the game.

Just like the first half, the second started much the same way with EDC fighting to get a clear shot on target to push themselves back in front.

But it took 20 minutes of pressure from the College before they finally got past the QE defence with a fantastic passing move. The ball ended up at the feet of Monroe who smashed the ball towards goal only to see it rise up and crash off the crossbar and go harmlessly out of play.

The EDC players started to get frustrated, partly due to not being deservedly in the lead by now and partly due to some arguable refereeing decisions going against them. And this frustration seemed to be their undoing.

In the 80-minute QE mounted a rare attack on the East Durham goal and with only their second shot of the game Tom Pilkington smashed the ball past the keeper to give QE a 2-1 lead.

EDC pushed hard for the last ten minutes, chucking everything at QE, even the keeper was pushed up for a corner, but they just couldn’t find an equaliser.

But today just wasn’t East Durham’s day. They threw everything at QE and were by far the stronger team over the 90 minutes and will surely be disappointed to come from the game with nothing.