Saddle up with East Durham College's popular equine/horse care courses, taught at our stunning Houghall campus on the outskirts of Durham.
See yourself making a career in the equine industry? With East Durham College's range of equine courses, you can make it happen.
Our equine and horse care study programmes involve a selection of both theory-based and practical work, studying everything from equine science and health to animal handling and feeding. Our courses are all about preparing you for the world of work after your time at college, so you'll take part in work-related activities, develop skills for work and get the chance to take work experience placements too.
Study Equine at East Durham College - Our Course Video
There's no better way for you to get a feel for our equine courses than watching our Equine Course video below!
Houghall Equine Centre - Facilities
With East Durham College, you get some of the best equine facilities available anywhere in the North East. We've invested £2.5 million into our incredible Equine centre, giving our students everything they need during their equine course.
Our investment into the Houghall Equine Centre gives students a real place of excellence to work and study during their equine course. The centre includes:
- Modern stable block with 28 stable block accommodation - we house several of our own college horses, as well as looking after horses from members of the public who use our livery service
- International Standard 40 x 40m Indoor Arena - our indoor arena is available all-year round, and includes all the space you need to ride and practice jumping. The arena is open to the public, with viewing area and is available for bookings
- 60 x 40m All-Weather Outdoor Menage - the indoor arena is complemented by our outdoor menage area, a dedicated arena where you'll ride horses outdoors. All jumps and equipment can be taken both indoors and outdoors, as needed during your training
- Training Workshops - plenty of classroom space for the theory side of our equine courses
- Tack Room - maintain your horses' and your own equipment with our tack room
- Automatic Horse Walker - regular exercise is an important part of a horse's condition, so our automatic horse walker helps to make sure they keep fit and compliments the rest of your studies
On top of all this, the campus also includes a cross-country trail, schooling field and a 20 acre paddock which students will be able to take advantage of during their course.
The centre is approved by The British Horse Society.
The equine centre, training facilities, paddock and x-country trail are available to hire and the college also offers full, working and grass livery services. For more details, please check out our livery services page or call the Equine Team on 0191 375 4738.
The Equine Industry
In the UK the equine industry is massive, with a turnover in the region of £1b per year. It encompasses many different sectors, from racing, driving and endurance to dressage, horse trials and show jumping. These are supported by a large ancillary industry which provides extensive career opportunities.
Students achieving a full level 3 programme have the opportunity to apply for university entrance to study on higher education courses such as equine science, equine behaviour, equine sports performance and coaching, equine business management and a range of other equine-related courses such as veterinary nursing or bioveterinary science.
Our learners progress into employment at riding schools, livery yards, competition yards, rescue centres and in tack shops. Opportunities in the UK and indeed overseas include veterinary practices, equine rehabilitation centres and working for equine-related charities.
Animal Care Courses
As a highly respected institution within land based industries, courses at the Houghall Campus really will help your career grow.
For general full time or part time course enquires please call Student Services on 0191 375 4710.
Available short and part time course(s) are listed below:
For course start dates (where relevant), please check within the individual course page itself.
Available full time and/or part time course(s) are listed below:
The full time and/or part time course(s) listed below are available to apply for to be studied during the academic year 2022/2023. Please note some courses are now full for September 2021 starts.