Football Development Centre (Women)
Do you enjoy playing football for fun or do you have aspirations of going far in the game, maybe even going professional?
Play and train like a pro while you study and gain excellent qualifications that will help you progress into the future career you want.
Whatever your level, there’s a place for you at our highly-respected football academy.
East Durham College runs the longest-established College Football Academy in the region. So come and join the best, and experience this fantastic package of training and benefits:
- Eight hours coaching per week from our UEFA-qualified coaches, including former Sunderland AFC defenders Darren Holloway and Darren Williams and Pools legend Brian Honour.
- Play in the English Colleges FA or Northern Counties East Leagues depending on your level of ability.
- Use our fantastic facilities, which rival many a professional football club. These include a full size floodlit 3G pitch, a number of top class grass pitches, a double-sized sports hall with Futsal fittings (and a seating capacity of 500), a fully equipped state-of-the-art gym with fixed and free weights and a range of cardiovascular, strength and conditioning training kit, modern and secure changing facilities and even an in-house physiotherapy clinic. Click here for more details on the Sports Centre and Impact Health & Fitness gym.
- Study 14 hours per week learning about every aspect of sport, including physiology, fitness training, fitness testing, psychology, nutrition, performance analysis and more. Meanwhile, you’ll also be taking one of our three Level 3 Sport course options (Sports Science, Development Coaching & Fitness or Performance & Excellence). These two year courses are equivalent to three A Levels and are a proven route into university or employment. There is also the option to study at Level 1 or 2 depending on your GCSE grades.
- Take part in 36 hours of real work experience during the year, with opportunities to coach children, take part in sports development, work in a gym and many other choices.
- Have the opportunity to complete Maths and English to GCSE or Level 2 Functional Skills (if you don’t already have them).
- Use the state-of-the-art gym during training, in lessons or in your own time for FREE. Normal membership costs £450 a year. The gym is open seven days a week.
- If you pick up any niggles or injuries during training or matches, our full time professional physiotherapist is on hand, completely FREE to get you back on the pitch as soon as possible.
- You’ll also get FREE travel to and from the College with our free bus services with Arriva. Please click here for details on the free bus service.
For more details please call the sports team on 0191 518 8308 or 0191 518 5565. And why not join us on Facebook, www.facebook.com/TeamEastDurham
Apply now for our Football Academy
Would you like to express your interest in our football academy? Click the link below to apply today!
See what Ofsted have to say (Ofsted Inspection Report, March 2014)
“Teachers demonstrate good subject knowledge and expertise, delivered with great enthusiasm to motivate and engage students.”
“Support for students is good. They value particularly the individual tutorials, and the availability and approachability of teachers outside lessons, via text, email or the VLE
for help and advice to support their good progress.”
“Accommodation and resources are excellent, including outstanding sports facilities used effectively to develop students’ practical skills and support progress.”
“Students value the enrichment programme in sport highly. They benefit from the good opportunities to progress, achieve and succeed in chosen sports academies or elite
athlete scholarships with structured training programmes, fixtures in the British Colleges league and selection to represent college and regional teams.”
See what some of our former students have to say:
“I studied sport alongside being part of the Women’s Football Academy at the College. I was incredibly well supported at the College by the teaching and coaching staff, and the facilities were brilliant. I definitely improved as a player and a person whilst at EDC.” Amy Morrison (Represented England Colleges FA).
“It was the best year of my life!! Actually not joking. Got a year of quality football coaching, met friends for life and it set me up for the career I am in now. It also triggered a move north of 350 miles and I never returned south!” Tina Reed (Football Development Officer, Durham County FA).
“I studied on a sports course whilst at East Durham College. It was a great learning curve and helped develop my football as well. I have gone on to play for my country, Scotland, and currently play for Rangers Ladies.” Hollie Thompson (Midfield, Scotland & Rangers Ladies FC).