Foundation Studies - Peterlee
Foundation Studies offers entry level courses for young people with a wide range of support needs, learning difficulties and disabilities.
Our foundation programme is a general course with specific foundation learning pathways. The Pathways offer a wide range of subjects tailored to the correct level to meet the needs of each individual learner.
A wide variety of subjects are offered and learners can follow a combination of subjects including:
- Craft design and technology
- Independent living skills
- Painting and decorating
- Travel training
Learners also work to improve communication, literacy and IT skills.
The course is taught via practical and theoretical sessions at the appropriate level, with additional support provided in all classes when necessary.
Learners will be assessed on their acquisition of skills in accordance with the criteria laid down by the awarding body. Assessments will be part of their ongoing work or as a specific test.
The department also caters for a wide range of students including:
- School leavers aged 16 to 19 with emotional and behavioural difficulties or moderate learning difficulties, who need a little help and extra support before moving onto a full time vocational course or into employment.
- School leavers aged 19+ with a range of learning difficulties and/or disabilities who need additional help and support in small groups.
- Adults with a range of learning difficulties and/or disabilities who need additional help and support in small groups.
Length of course
One, two or three years depending on the needs of the learner.
Students who successfully complete their pathway may progress on to a higher level within the Foundation Department or further pathways within the College at a more advanced level e.g. Land Based Foundation, Level 1 in IT, Level 1 in Childcare, Level 1 in Construction, Level 1 in Sport, etc.
Our staff are friendly and experts in this area and will make ensure you feel safe and provide you with the best possible learning environment for your development.
To find out more please contact the Student Services team on 0191 518 8222.
Available part time course(s) for 2020/2021 are listed below:
The course(s) listed below are available to apply for to be studied during the 2020/2021 academic year. For the course start date, please check within the individual course page itself.