History Of The Peterlee Campus
East Durham College moved into its new Peterlee Campus back in January 2009. However, the college institution dates back to the 1950s.
Easington Technical College
The college was originally known as Easington Technical College. The college was formally opened on Thursday 14th November 1957 by Mrs Elizabeth Wesley Nicholson and built by Joseph Huntley & Sons Ltd of Sunderland.
Easington Technical College was the first instalment of the Easington College, one of six major Technical Colleges planned under the Durham County Council's Scheme for Further Education.
Prior to completion of the college the only provision for day release students in the eastern coastal area of the Durham Coalfield was the small Mining Institute at Easington Colliery.
Began in March 1952, the college was built essentially to cater for the Mining Industry and its related crafts. Workshops and laboratories were equipped with the most modern machinery and apparatus of the day to provide students with the facilities they needed leading to the Ordinary National Certificate in Mining and City and Guilds qualifications in the crafts.
Although designated as the Easington Technical College, the building occupied an idea site in what was then the new town of Peterlee. The second inslatment, included in the Minister of Education i the 1959-60 Building Programme formed an important feature of the civic centre of the new town. There was the addition of an assembly hall, gymnasium and playing fields.
837 students enrolled in the college's first year.
The earliest copy of the college prospectus (part time) was published in 1957 and shows that the college offered national and general certificate courses in mining and engineering and courses for intending mine deputies. In the1958-59 prospectus full time courses were introduced.
The crest featured on the front cover of the college's prospectuses from 1958 to 1963. The Latin translation of Do Ut Des is 'I give in order that you may give'.
Peterlee Technical College
From 1975 the college become known as Peterlee Technical College.
From 1984 the college become known as Peterlee College.
East Durham Community College
From 1996 the college become known as East Durham Community College.
East Durham & Houghall Community College (EDHCC)
On 1 June 1999 East Durham and Houghall Community College was formed by statutory instrument and represented a merger between the former East Durham Community College (formerly known as Peterlee Tertiary College in the 1980s and Peterlee College since 1989) and Durham College of Agriculture and Horticulture (also known as Houghall College).
East Durham College (EDC)
In 2008/09 the college rebranded to become known as East Durham College.
The college relocated from their town centre site on Burnhope Way into their £36m Willerby Grove campus in January 2009.
Peterlee Campus Sports Centre
The Sport Centre was officially opened by Prince Richard, Duke of Glouchester (pictured below), on 30th March 2009.
Peterlee Campus - The Lubetkin Theatre
The Lubetkin Theatre within the Peterlee Campus was officially opened by Sasha Lubetkin on 5th October 2009
Peterlee Campus - Boxing Gym
The East Durham Boxing Gymnasium within the sports centre was officially opened by local boxing hero Tony Jeffries, bronze medallist at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games and former student of East Durham College.
The Technical Academy
In September 2011, The Technical Academy opened over on the Peterlee South West Industrial Estate. The centre offers training in engineering, manufacturing and a number of construction-related skills and was formerly opened by The Rt. Hon. John Denham MP (Labour) who was the then Shadow Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills, .
East Durham Sixth Form (ED6)
In September 2012, East Durham Sixth Form (ED6) opened within East Durham College's Peterlee Campus on Willerby Grove, so the college could once again offer students a wide selection of A-level subjects.
Mr. G. W. Bloomfield, 1957-1958
Mr. V. Morris, 1958-1959
Mr D. T. A. Rees, 1960-1962
Mr. Lou. E. Watts, 1962-1981
Mr. Alan. A. Robinson, 1982-1984
Mr. Chris. J. Hughes, 1984-1990
Mr. Steve Broomhead, 1990-1994
Mr. William Husband (Interim) 1994-1995
Mr. Ian. W. Prescott, 1995-2010
Mr Stuart Wesselby, 2010-2011
Mr Eugene McCrossan (Interim), 2012
Mrs Suzanne Duncan, 2012 to present day