Miller Bags Hat-Trick as East Durham 2's Pick Up 5-2 Win

Fri, 26/10/2001 - 01:00

Mark Miller continues his impressive form with four goals in two games

Mark Miller continued his good form, netting a hat-trick as East Durham College’s second team came home with a 5-2 win on their first away trip of the season at Hartlepool Sixth Form College.

It was a scrappy first 10 minutes as both team tried to find their feet in the game, with both sides creating some good early chances.

But it was a long ball from the EDC defence that found the feet of Mark Miller who slid the ball past the keeper to break the deadlock.

Just a few minutes later it could have all been level, when the referee gave a penalty to Hartlepool for handball. But the pressure got to striker Adam Meredith who saw his strike smash off the crossbar.

And from this reprieve East Durham capitalised with another long ball, this time from a goal kick, which found the head of Miller who looped his header over the advancing keeper giving EDC a two goal lead just 20 minutes in.

Miller then rounded off his hat trick just after 30 minutes when EDC got the ball up the wing and a lovely cross from Granger found Miller at the back post to tap in his third of the afternoon.

It looked like EDC were going to go into half time with a comfortable 3-0 lead but on the 42 minute mark Hartlepool pushed forward and a long ball was placed through to striker Cameron Ingledew who finished the ball into the EDC net.

In the build up to the goal, Ingledew looked to be in an offside position but the referee waved away protests from East Durham players and the goal stood.

From the kick-off Hartlepool pressed again, looping a cross in from the right which Adam Meredith latched onto, neatly placing the ball into the bottom corner, making up for his earlier penalty miss and bringing the score at half time to 3-2.

Early in the second half EDC won a corner but this nearly lead to disaster when Hartlepool cleared the ball to goal scorer Cameron Ingledew’s feet, he then carried the ball taking it past EDC keeper Liam Kennedy, only to see his shot at the open goal cleared off the line by right back Mark Marwood.

After that scare EDC started to take control of the game and in the 60 minute won a free kick just inside the Hartlepool half. It was thumped forward by captain Hayden Macleod finding forward Craig Passa who impressively volleyed the ball past the keeper.

East Durham College continued to press forward and with ten minutes to go they wrapped up the three points. Macleod put another long free kick into the box leading to a scramble for the ball which Hartlepool managed to clear to the edge of the box, but it was picked up by EDC defender Terrence Riley who curled the ball into the bottom corner to wrap up a 5-2 win.

EDC’s second team coach, ex-Sunderland striker, Michael Proctor praised the way his side performed throughout the match and was happy to have four points on the board from their first two league games.

Proctor said: “It was a great performance by the lads. It was disappointing to concede them goals so late in the first half but they got back on top in the second half and continued to pressure throughout, holding their discipline and picking up another two goals to secure the win.

“It’s a great start to the season with good performances in our opening two games, hopefully we can be consistent and keep these performances going for the rest of the season.”

EDC’s first team also travelled to Hartlepool Sixth Form College for their game in the BCS Division 1. Brian Honour’s men picked up their first point of the season with a 1-1 draw.