North East Institute of Technology at EDC
East Durham College has been approved to operate as part of the North East Institute of Technology (NEIoT), one of only 12 such institutes in the country.
The College is proud to be part of the NEIoT which focuses on advanced manufacturing and engineering, construction and digital.
East Durham College will provide enhanced training in construction and advanced manufacturing alongside our programmes to develop the higher level technical skills employers need. We will provide industry-standard training facilities and expert training in electric and hybrid vehicles, mechatronics, pneumatics and robotics, as well as the digital skills required for precise food production within agriculture.
What is an Institute of Technology?
An Institute of Technology (IoT) is a collaboration between further education (FE) providers, universities and employers.
As an IoT, East Durham College will specialise in delivering higher technical education (at Level 4 and 5) with a focus on STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) subjects, such as engineering, digital and construction.
The College will provide students with a clear route to technical employment, and employers with a skilled workforce.
For more general information on the new IoT, please check out .gov by clicking here.
Our approved IoT courses
- Level 3 full-time engineering courses
- Level 3 full-time motor vehicle
- HNC Engineering
- HND Engineering
- Engineering Technician Level 3 Apprenticeship
- Metal Fabricator Level 3 Apprenticeship
- Team Leader/Supervisor Level 3 Apprenticeship
- Level 5 Operations/Department Manager
Studying at North East Institute of Technology
As a student at the North East Institute of Technology you will benefits in many ways:
- Close links with employers, creating recruitment opportunities in the STEM sector
- Better career prospects and earning potential
- Programmes designed and delivered in partnership with employers and university
- Learn the specialist skills needed by employers in your region now and in the future
- Learn from lecturers with extensive industry experience for relevant and applicable knowledge and skills in the workplace
- Flexible full time and part time course options to suit your work and life commitments
- Affordable courses to help you achieve the qualifications you are aiming for
- A portfolio of courses delivered at different sites around the North East for ease of travel to your place of study
Who we are working with as part of the NEIoT
The North East Institute of Technology is being provided by a group of partner colleges in the North East:
East Durham College
NA College Trust
New College Durham
Tyne Coast College
Our lead employer partners are:
The NEIoT is also being supported by partner local businesses including:
Stanley Black and Decker
Sunderland Software City
Northern Power Grid
Apply for a course
You can apply for any of the NE IoT courses listed above.
The North East Institute of Technology offers a great opportunity to progress to university level programmes, including higher apprenticeships; it is a natural progression route from our new T Level programmes launching in September 2022.
Are you an employer looking to take on an industry placement student?
Are you a local employer that would benefit from an industry placement? Find out more here.
For further information about our NEIoT programmes on offer, please contact Student Services via LiveChat or on 0191 518 8222.